So you are planning to move to a new house in Calgary? Congratulations! We have made the moving process easier by creating this home moving checklist so that you don’t have to go through any stress. Keep this home moving checklist handy weeks before the actual moving day.
Weeks Before Moving
- First thing, find a good home-moving company to make your moving process easier.
- Get your home cleaned, painted, repaired, and make it ready for the next family to move in at the earliest.
- Make a list of things you’ll take along and things you’ll leave behind.
- Call gas, water, electricity, cable, internet providers and cancel the services from the date you will move. You can also ask them to transfer the services to your new address.
- Notify the existing school about your moving. Find a good school for your children in the new location and get them enrolled there.
1-2 Weeks Before Moving
- Reconfirm the moving details with your real estate agent, broker, lawyer, etc.
- Clear all the bills and dues for all the services you have subscribed to in your existing home.
- Inform the garbage collector, newspaper person, laundry service, maid/servant, etc. about your home moving plan.
- Put an application for your address change and notify your bank, insurance company, broker, and other departments about the same.
- Start using up things that you won’t take along with you, especially the perishable items such as food.
- Clean other parts of your property including the garage, deck, patio, etc.
A Day Before Moving
- Remind the moving company of your home moving plan.
- Inform your existing neighbours.
- Ensure all the services in your new home have been initiated and your new home is perfectly ready to move in.
- Return all the rented items, electronics, and furniture if any.
- If moving yourself, arrange for a trailer, pickup van, and/or other vehicles for moving.
- Defrost the freezer.
- Empty your hot water tank.
- Unplug and properly secure the cables of all the appliances.
On The Final Day
- Check every room, wardrobe, closet, shelf, cabinet and see if you haven’t missed out on anything.
- Water the lawn, plants, shrubs, and even trees.
- Switch off the HVAC system.
- Turn off the water, gas, and electricity main supplies.
- Make sure all the faucets and plumbing fixtures are tightly closed.
- Lock the doors and shut the windows correctly.
- Lock the doors and gates and give the keys to the concerned real estate agent.